Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Sunday, October 7, 2007

8 Female Archetype Examples and The Villains



Continuing with archetype characterization from the book "Heroes and Heroines: 16 Master Archetypes," by Caro LeFever, Tami Cowden and Sue Viders, I have listed examples of the eight female archetypes. Do you agree?

My example of the Seductress is Scarlett O'Hara. Is she a heroine or a villain? If Gone With The Wind was Melanie's story, would Scarlett be a villain? Is Melanie a Nurturer or Waif?

The authors of "Heroes and Heroines: 16 Master Archetypes" also propose sixteen villains and I list them as part of the commentary on archetypes. However, I find the descriptions to be stereotypical instead of archetypal. And of course that is the point of characterization. Both the protagonist and the antagonist need to be fully realized.

1 comment:

L.A. Mitchell said...

I agree, Andrea. These are a great jumping off point for characterization, but by no means anything close to three dimensional. I've enjoyed following your series as I'm exploring my characters deeper.