Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tick-Tock the Murder Clock

Marraige?
What about Poppy?
What about the murderer?
What about her completely screwed up life? Her real life? The one she wanted back?


She dropped the shard of glass with a thud against the Aubusson carpet beneath her. The rug's frayed edges protected a large portion of the planked wooden floor even as her heel dipped against the uneven surface. The carpet, like her fairy godmother, concealed more than it revealed.

Tasha flexed her hand and looked down to find the shard had left a confusing criss-cross indention on her skin. "I don't understand, Elvira. You're supposed to be my fairy god-mother. You're supposed to protect me."

"That's exactly what I've done." Elvira twisted her fingers together, her expression pleading for understanding.

"Is anything you told me the truth?"

"Tasha ..."

"She's not your fairy god-mother." Bracken-slash-Demitri wiped his hands against his coat before he straightened his lapels. "Will you tell her?" He turned to Elvira. "Or shall I?"

Elvira turned away.

"She's your mother." Bracken said more softly.

"I don't have a mother." She shook her head. "It was just Dad and me. I'd know if I had a mother--"

Bracken-slash-Demitri shook his head sadly.

She supposed there could be a chance Elvira was her mother. Even before her hellish first tumble of jumps, Elvira had been part of her life. First as an imaginary friend only she could see, usually at her birthday parties and holidays. Later, after her father died, as an inconstant companion. But, if Elvira was her mother ...

"She's not a fairy god-mother?"

"Of cou..." Elvira shrilled as her hair bounced in time with her temper. "Of course ..." She stilled, tested a breath and clamped her eyes closed for a brief moment. "Of course, I'm a fairy. Are you daft, girl?" She advanced, stretching herself on tip-toe until she was nose to nose with Tasha. "Your grandmother would be turning over in her grave to hear such a thing come out of your mouth."

"Does that mean ..."

"You're only half fairy." Demitri confirmed. "Which is why your magical potential has been shrouded. Our destiny is tied, Tasha." He touched her shoulder. "Let me help you. Together we can find Poppy's murderer and free ourselves from this fate."

"And find herself tied to the Fairy King?" Elvira pushed Demitri away. "If you continue to jump, you will eventually be free. If you marry Demitri, your fate will be tied to him forever."

"No!" Demitri's reply echoed off the glass window. "I mean to end it. Once my full power is restored, I will bestow them upon my brother and renounce the throne."

"Liar," Elvira spat.

The room grew quiet as Demitri and Elvira glared at each other. Tasha took a step back and rested against the bed. Could she trust him to keep his word? Forever was a long time. But how long could she stand to jump from one body to the next? When would it end? Would it end?

"Bind yourself to me, Tasha, and I swear I will make your days and nights memorable, for as long as we both live."

"Mortality? With the dethroned Fairy King?" Elvira stamped her foot. "I won't allow it!"

"You have manipulated the situation long enough, Elvira." Demitri stepped in front of the smaller woman, effectively blocking her from Tasha's view. "Listen to me, Tasha. Please. The choice is yours."

She looked from Demitri to Elvira and longed for the simplicity of Poppy's life. Things had been so much simpler when her only worry had been who was trying to murder her.

3 comments:

Mary Karlik said...

Awesome! Demetri is the Fairy King ready to renounce the throne! Sort of a King Edward twist . I love it! What will she decide? WHo's next? I can't wait.

K.M. Saint James said...

Oh, you are so twisted.

You're right. Her life was simplier when someone was just trying to kill her.

Dee, you're up.

Hey, and don't wait for my rotation. If someone has a great way to twist the ends and tie this up, then do it.

Dee Shaffer said...

Love it!