Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Who Is Poppy

“So you’re convinced Stepfather is responsible for the attempt on Po--my life?”

Bracken stared down the hallway as he spoke. “He would gain the most money but there are those who would do it for pure pleasure.”

“Pleasure?” What kind of body did Elvira zap me in to?

My hero snapped his gaze to me tightening his jaw. “Surely you haven’t forgotten the circumstances of our agreement.”

I tried to focus on Bracken’s face as he spoke but the jackhammer banging away behind my eyes had apparently bored a hole in my vision. I pressed my fingers to my temples. The real Poppy was trying to emerge. The sensation was nothing new, the host soul usually tries to resurface at some point, but this host was unusually strong.

“Poppy?”

My cheek pressed against the cold wooden floor. I opened my eyes to find Bracken kneeling beside me. “I must have fallen...”
“You had another spell. Fortunately, I was able to contain you before you injured someone.”
I allowed Bracken to help me to the settee by the fireplace. “Bracken, I must have rattled my brain in the water this morning. What do you mean by spells?”

“Why darling, you are insane."

4 comments:

L.A. Mitchell said...

awesome, Mary. Swift and forward-moving :)

Andrea Geist said...

hormonal mood swings - poor Poppy

K.M. Saint James said...

Aren't you sneaky? I love this twist, and doesn't that bear the question -- if she's been having these spells for awhile, who was inhabiting her body earlier to make her seem insane?

This poor gal, she just can't seem to catch a break, thanks to all of us. Don't we love tortured heroines?

Sherry A Davis said...

This floored me. I never saw it coming. But, of course, it would explain why her stepfather still has some measure of control over her fortune and why she needs his approval to marry.
Wicked, Mary. Truly wicked ;)