Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Helpful hints for the writer

No groaning. Yes, it's another post about a book I read. I mean, it is what I do, besides writing.

The book this week is: 265 Troubleshooting Strategies for Writing Non-fiction by Barbara Fine Clouse. Although it's for the non-fiction writer, it has good tips for fiction writers, too. Since I've been writing and publishing in nonfiction for a few years now, first as a reporter and later as a freelancer, I know most of these. But there were a few that caught my attention. Such as:

No. 39 Write on a daily schedule. This is really, really important. Writing won't get done by thinking about it. And once you develop a schedule, i.e., a habit, it should be easier to put words to page.

No. 41 Write for yourself instead of the reader. Okay. I have fun doing this and so should every writer out there. As I've learned over the years, the work is it's own reward.

No. 102. Identify two changes that will improve your draft. Make the changes and then reread and see if the draft isn't better. You'll be surprised.

No. 109. Construct a reader profile. I like this one. I took it to mean creating a list of reader wants from a book. For example, if the book is paranormal romance, what do I, the reader, want from this book and each and every book, really? Come up with a checklist. Here's one I made...

What I want from a paranormal romance:
I want it to be dark. Full of sexual tension. I want tortured protagonists and high character arcs -- almost unredeemable characters, especially the hero. I want thrills, suspense, a very hard otherworldly feel to the book. I want the characters to be larger than life, stronger than ordinary people with paranormal "issues." I want a series and I want a happy ending. But not necessarily a resolution.

No. 132 Write a postdraft outline. Clouse suggests you'll be able to see any holes in your plot or events out of order.

3 comments:

L.A. Mitchell said...

I took "constructing a reader profile" to mean being aware of your intended audience--which I guess totally breaks rule No. 41.

When I write, I remember Stephen King's "ideal reader" and have my own. It helps to keep her in mind because I can feel myself squeezing a sentence for just the right pop or striving to capture the exact essence of the character's emotion so I can evoke hers. For me, it raises the bar a little and forces me to stretch.

K.M. Saint James said...

Great reminders, Shannon.

I wasn't aware I kept a reader profile in mind while writing, but the suspense stuff always has me thinking . . .

What does the reader expect next?
What does the reader REALLY need to know next?
Have I planted all the seeds so the reader will feel he/she had a chance to determine the villian?
Do the threads start on PAGE ONE?

Ooh, that one trips me a lot.

I also think constantly about the characters GMC. Is every sentence one that reinforces to the reader the true character I have on page?

Mary Karlik said...

I love these tips. Especially #109. I have a vague idea of who my reader is but I will write it down this evening. Thanks for the Sparlke tip.