Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Caught in a trap

Three of the occupants immediately noticed the blundering intrusion. They greeted me with raised eyebrows and low volume snickers. The fourth, a short man with oily hair and a life beaten glint to his eyes, said: "Lady. You're in the wrong place."

Grimacing and trying to look aywhere but there, I blurted: "Whoops. Sorry," and backpedaled to the door intending to hide in the narrow hall behind the out-of-service payphone, but a word from the gentleman at the last urinal stopped me.

"Wait."

Not really wanting to raise my gaze back to someone who may or may not be conducting business, I did so regardless, compelled by the authority in his voice. And fell into an ocean of electric blue. His eyes paralyzed me, their color beautiful and mesmerizing, but terrifyingly intense. Suddenly, we were the only two people in the world and there was no place for me to hide. Not from Tim, and sure the Hell not from this man.

2 comments:

Andrea Geist said...

Good tight writing as always and good pick up.

Clio said...

Every Wal-Mart I've ever been in has the Men's room on the left and the Lady's on the right. Not so the old Weatherford Wal-Mart. I blithely barged into what I thought was the Lady's restroom and quickly discovered my mistake. I retreated faster than you can say 'oops!' but not before 5 men jumped in shock to cover themselves from my gaze. Needless to say, I was so mortified I just skipped the needed visit to the Lady's as quickly as I could. My husband laughed his head off when I told him.

Like the story so far.

Christine Crocker