Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Short Story, Part I -The Great Escape

I battled a tidal wave urge to ram the steak knife in my ear so I couldn’t hear the tripe spewing from the man across the table. My well-manicured fingernails gouged my palm so I wouldn’t be arrested for sticking a fork in his contact enhanced blue eye. And I suppressed an impulse to dump my salad on his head, croutons decorating salon highlights and balsamic vinaigrette dribbling down his perfect nose.

My purse slung across my shoulder and he still didn’t have a clue. Poised to make a controlled dash away from self-absorbed, boring, self-absorbed, what the heck had I been thinking saying yes? Todd Davis.


Both wood plaques at the Three Pigs Café looked the same. Poised to make my escape, I listened to him drone on and on and on. The plan: to hide in the ladies room until Todd left then take a taxi. I'd send someone to tell him I was in stomach distress, go without me. I wish I had someone to turn to for rescue or help but I was on my own.

I spied a cute girl coifed in a bleached buzz cut, clad in Abercrombie & Fitch jeans and a hoodie with a brown faux fur collar, heading to the restrooms. She turned to her left. Excusing myself (an ingrained habit), I pushed out of the chair. Walking in fast but controlled pace, okay I sprinted, after the girl through the door.


When what to my wondering eyes should appear? Three toilet stalls, six occupants and ... urinals. Ah hell.

Andrea Geist

1 comment:

browntribe said...

What fun! This is a fast and interesting and fun read.
I like it! Looking forward to the next installment!

browntribe