Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Creativity part II

It's been a stretch of time since my last post (Hey, I was on vacation!), but as promised, here is part two of my lecture on creativity (and if you need a refresher on part one, go here):

Now that you have a goal firmly and clearly in mind, you have to really, really want it. Or at least pretend you do. Huh? What did she say? Just go with it, and it will make sense. Soon.

I think if you’ll engage in a little pretending--get damn excited about your project!--it will eventually be easier and easier to generate a level of excitement (adrenaline rush) allowing you to create. What I mean by pretending is acting. Act like you want to write your book. You believe in the project, so believe in the work that’s required to produce it. Act like you can do it. Pretend it’s fun. Pretend it’s exciting. Pretend like readers are beating down your door to read your new pages hot off the printer. Pretend as though this manuscript is going to earn you a six-digit advance. Do whatever you have to do to make yourself excited about the work!

And here's a little test to determine if you're really into the work:

Make a list right now. It’s important, trust me. Name it: Things that make me happy. Go crazy with it. Put anything on that list you want! It’s your list and nothing is too silly or too commercial or too small or too large.

OK. Read over your list. Is writing on there? Maybe under the dinners out with girlfriends? Or a great hockey game? Or how about new shoes? Is writing somewhere around shoes?

Uh oh. It’s not on your list, huh? Well, it wasn’t on mine either the first time. I quickly realized I needed to change that if I planned to sign on for the long haul. And once I decided I wanted to write, I wanted to do the work and it was exciting and rewarding, and I got a high while doing it!!, then it made my list. And that’s part of making it happen. It's part of sustaining a level of creativity and excitement to see your project all the way through to THE END.

Over time, this acting become belief (no more pretending) and the result is a good habit, positive thought and a good disposition or more basic, simply feeling good about what we’re doing. And feeling good has many advantages in other areas of your life as well. As I get a bit older, I understand the fleeting nature of actually feeling good and I treasure the times when I feel upbeat, confident and positive. And anticipating feeling good gets me excited, too. It probably will do it for you, too.

4 comments:

Mary Karlik said...

I love this . I am a firm believer in just what you talked about. Great motivation. thanks

Andrea Geist said...

Great post Shannon. I put a new fence on my list. Okay, either I misunderstood or I'm not just plain weird (we already knew that)- I'm officially ultra-weird.
Now if I talk about goals, writing is on that list.

L.A. Mitchell said...

Great reminders, Shannon. I play games with myself to get to the chair, too, sometimes. This crazy love-hate thing we have with the craft.

K.M. Saint James said...

What is that secret to change your lifestyle? Practice any behavior for three weeks and voila, a new attitude will evolve.

When considering that in a short 21 days, we can become driven to write, somehow the time commitment doesn't seem so long.