Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Mood and Writing


Today I wrote with enthusiasm, my imagination and characters skipping happily from page to page.

But then something happened. I disappointed a friend and colleague and was reprimanded. Now my innate nature makes me the poster child for self-castigation. My mood changed. I am angry with myself for failure to live up to expectations. I’m sad that I may have caused another pain or difficulty.

And the tone of my writing, my voice changed. Drastically. My heroine is so positive, she makes Pollyanna look bad. I was not able to write the story - instead my brain sent my fingers flying across the page in self-recrimination. I needed the return of euphoria and optimism to continue my WIP.

A revelation occurred. When I wrote the short story, A Kiss from a Rose, my feelings were of loneliness and unease. The tone of the story was dark, scary and hopeful. I can use my moods to help write certain aspects of my stories. Think of Edgar Allan Poe, what was his state of mind and emotions?

Perhaps others with even temperament won’t find this helpful. But now that I am cognizant of the impact my emotions have on my voice, I plan to use this to advantage. In One Demon at a Time, it was difficult for me to kill one of my characters. I knew he had to die but I anguished over the scene, rewriting and rewriting. If I had a healthy does of rage, I probably could have offed him with dispatch.

I plan to use my emotions to advantage in my stories. I’m moving on to a scene in ODAAT 2 where my heroine is floundering in self- recrimination, a result of a deadly mistake.

Using the emotion in writing is excellent therapy, too.

Does your storytelling voice change with your mood?

4 comments:

Sherry A Davis said...

Andrea,
This is excellent! I, too, have trouble writing scenes if I'm not in the proper mood.

But I'm a "plotter". I like to do in-depth scene planning and sketch out several scenes ahead. I'm attempting to let go of my linear proclivities (my need to write in order of story progression) and your article makes perfect sense.

I simply have to find the scene that requires the specific mood I'm in and write that one!

Thanks for a great blog :)

K.M. Saint James said...

What great insight. I, too, believe that emotion totally drives the story. Plot or no plot. I think this is why it can be crucial to write out of sequence. If anger, sadness, joy or just feelings of LOOOOVE are rocking the author's boat -- then that needs to be the scene shape for the day. Going with this flow makes a lot more sense than going against it.

Mary Karlik said...

I agree. I sometimes write a scene out of sequence because its so alive in my mind I can't put it away and I'm afraid if I do I'll lose it forever.
Mary

L.A. Mitchell said...

What a candid post, Andrea. I've skipped around in the past because certain scenes are more crystalized in my mind, but now I should open up a bit more and write the one that speaks to me that day. Thanks :)