Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Visualizing the World




In creating the world for my fantasy novel, Residuals: The Mender, I needed some visual clues to help me stay "in the world" of the protagonist. I was inspired by the very real region of Detroit known as Forgotten Detroit.
(www.forgottendetroit.com)

The owner of the website has taken an inspired photo-catalogue of the changing face of downtown detroit. I also used movie sets from several urban fantasies.

I realized very quickly how important these visual clues were to my creative mind. So when I finished the book, I started researching publishers and book covers. I ran across Juno Books and noticed the great covers! (Hey, let's face it, a book is judged by it's cover.)

The more I saw of Timothy Lantz's work, the more I was inspired by his incredibly artistic eye. He's also illustrated a deck of tarot cards for anyone interested.

So, since I'm completely addicted to this cover artist, I thought I'd pass on his URL. www.stygiandarkness.com.

3 comments:

Mary Karlik said...

what an amazing picture! Thanks for sharing.

L.A. Mitchell said...

I love this picture. I remember reading about his art over at your blog. We should all be so lucky to have such phenomenal cover art.

K.M. Saint James said...

This cover so depicts the epic of your writing. I know why you're drawn to it.