Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Well

Writer's wells are filled with images, thoughts, associations and feelings that must be recharged like a stock-tank of inspiration. The more intense the writing, the more we draw from this inner reservoir and the faster we deplete its contents.

After spending two weeks in Fast Draft, I literally became a woman without words. In mid-sentence, words that fill my lexicon dozens of times a day evaporated in a misty cloud of "what was I going to say?" or stalled just before I found the right word--always out of reach. So this week, while I'm decompressing from such an intense writing sprint and catching up on the life that passed me by the past fourteen days, I'm learning how to refill the well for the marathon Meditation Draft ahead. Julia Cameron, in her inspirational book The Right to Write, suggests taking an "Artist Date".

The first rule of an artist date is to fly solo. According to Cameron, "You are romancing, wooing, courting your creative consciousness. This is something that requires you and your inner artist to spend time alone." Despite the solitary existence most of us live in the writing realm, we cannot allow other's thoughts or distractions into the sacred space of our creativity.

Yesterday, while shopping for ribbons to adorn a Halloween costume in a local fabric store, I had an impromptu date. Alone but for the sweet, elderly balding woman wielding sharpened scissors milling around nearby, my focus turned from fairy ribbon to fabrics and textures my heroine would wear. Row upon row of colors--a feast for the eye that brought to mind visions of mint juleps and lemon pie. Silky textures that brought to mind water flowing over the Colorado River Rock embedded into the setting of my story.

This week I also stumbled upon the announcement of an exhibition at the local art museum. Photography of the exact time period and subject matter as the villain in my novel. Artist's date: Monday.

More hints:

Sprinkle artist dates once or twice per week. Instead of gorging on them when a project comes to completion, find a way to fill the well before the inspiration becomes depleted.

Do something that can give you a full sensory experience.

Choose something that appeals to you, not just something you think will speak to your inner artist. If attending a NASCAR race and tasting the hot rubber inspires you, go for it.

Do not stand yourself up. This is a date and your inner creativity will feel cheated if you duck out to go grocery shopping.

Most importantly, don't write about what you experience. The time to fish from the well comes much later, with pen in hand or poised over a keyboard, when the delight of new images from this creative pool comes though, forgotten and fresh.



Here are some suggested dates from Cameron's book to get you started:


aquarium
plant store
jazz club
cathedral
gallery
map store
museum
go see a vintage film
botanical garden

Your turn: Add a suggested place for an "Artist's Date"

4 comments:

Andrea Geist said...

Coolio.
the zoo
But I like the art gallery the best

L.A. Mitchell said...

I can't help thinking the balloon festival nearby would be perfect, but who wants to get up pre-dawn and drive an hour on our only day to sleep in. My inner artist craves sleep, too :)

K.M. Saint James said...

The forest, the creek, my daughter's college campus, even the mall can all muster inspiration.

Marilyn Brant said...

Oh, I haven't been on an "artist's date" in far too long, but there's a place someone told me about this weekend that I'd love to visit: a local jewelry shop with all handmade items. Lots of twisted silver and pretty beads and rows of earrings I could lose myself in...