Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Forward Momentum and Setting Reasonable Goals





There's a lot of talk and interest in writing fast. We seem to be inundated with workshops that push us to set hard deadlines on the creative process: Book in a Week, Book in a Month, National Novel Writer's Month (NaNo), even Fast Draft. But which one is right for you? You're the only one who knows the answer to that question.

But before you sign on, take a moment to pick and choose your goals so you don't set yourself up for failure. Weigh your internal needs and external obligations before you commit to produce a given number of pages.

For instance, if you work full time and are the sole bread winner, you're likely to be exhausted when you come home after a hard day at work. Take time to recharge. Find a ritual to decompress and let go of the stresses of the day before you sit down to write. Shifting gears isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if it's a new concept.

Here are a few tips:

Establish rituals to writing.

Exercising is a great way to "sweat" out the stresses of the day. So is relaxing with a glass of wine or a tub full of bubbles. It may be something as simple as sitting in your special place, a fluffy robe around your shoulders or slipping into a comfy pair of shoes. For me, I walk a mile (or 3), do some push-ups(these are great for when I'm stuck in the process!) and then I light a candle. (I use a small votive with the idea as long as the flame burns I have to write.)Lighting is important for me, too. (Too bright and I can't concentrate.) I also have a quartz crystal I use to "transfer" all the unfinished business I didn't accomplish during the day. I put these "inside" the crystal and don't "pick them up" again until I turn off the computer. :) (Hey, it works for me.)

On days when I'm exhausted, I don't fight it. I set my alarm and take a nap. Sometimes thirty minutes will do. Other times, it takes a good couple of hours. But by then, the kids are in bed and asleep. I can get up when it's quiet, with no disruptions other than a pet, and write. On a good night, I've done 7 pages in an hour and a half. That's how important rest is to the creative mind.
Next, decide what you can reasonably accomplish on any given night and be sure to add in the worst case scenario.

Stuff happens.

But if you plan for "stuff" to go wrong, you're mentally prepared to deal with it (in the most efficient way possible or a stop-gap method until you can do a more thorough job) and move on.

Here's where forward momentum and reasonable goals can be your best friend.

If you normally write a page a day, then double your output for Fast Draft. Don't set an impossible goal. It's much easier to start out small and revise your goal to something larger. I know writers who use a timer. They set it for ten minutes and whatever happens, happens. For Fast Draft, set if for twenty.

If you're stuck at the desktop computer, it may free you up to take a spiral notebook and pen to another location. Or, if you write inside, go outside. If you write at night, try a stint in the morning. If you can't stand staring at the blank page, take some time after you turn off the computer to sketch out the next one (or three) scenes. You're certain to have plenty to write by the next day.

I personally found it very difficult to move from my last book into my next. I'd spent a lot of time revising the manuscript and now it was time to create new pages. I felt like I was sitting in an empty bathtub waiting for the water to come in--awkward to say the least.

Fast Draft helped me push through the "icky" part. And these programs are specifically great for pushing writers to kill off the internal editor and trust their inner muse. If that's you, then I encourage you to try it.

Don't expect to hit 20 pages the first day. Work up to it. There's no rule that says you have to stop Fast Draft when the two weeks are over. If you find a rhythm that works for you, keep it up.

And remember, if you find yourself unable to meet your goal, any amount of words on the page is forward momentum. Celebrate the small victories along with the big ones. Every day is another day closer to your publishing dream.

Happy (yet reasonable) Writing,

Sherry

1 comment:

Andrea Geist said...

you wrote this for me, didn't you? xoxo