Six writers. One blog. And the "dish" de jour.


We Want You!

Your comments and feedback are encouraged and welcomed. Please leave advice, tips, suggestions, experiences and anecdotes.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Eight Female Archetypes - Part III


Using the excellent book: "Heroes and Heroines: 16 Master Archetypes," by Caro LeFever, Tami Cowden and Sue Viders, today’s topic is female archetypes.


Why did I write about the 8 male archetypes first? As a female reader, I’m drawn to a certain type of hero, the hero I dream about. Well, we all need a hero but we need a heroine, too.

If the heroine is not fully developed, no matter how much I love the hero, the book isn’t a keeper. And nailing the female archetype is crucial when writing in first person.

It seems to me that many historical romances from the 1970’s featured The Waif, too often portrayed as TSL - too stupid to live. Characterization and archetype is not fully developed for the TSL heroine.
This damsel in distress is a strong woman. She endures the hardship of her circumstance.

I find The Spunky Kid and The Crusader easier to write. A valuable exercise would be to write out of your archetypal comfort zone. My most recent short story features The Free Spirit, not a natural choice for me. Writing about this archetype forced me to focus on characterization and motivation.

Which female archetype is the most difficult for you to write? Which heroine do you prefer to read, and why?

2 comments:

K.M. Saint James said...

I like the 'Take Charge' personality. Not that women like this can't be a bit difficult to take from time to time, but I can't stand a whiner and to me this particular archetype would be the complete opposite of a whiner . . . maybe not the best reason, but I can relate to the 'take charge' personality as well.

Good advice to write outside of our comfort zone and push our own writing limits.

L.A. Mitchell said...

I'm attempting the "Free Spirit" archetype this time through, too, although, again, the story is predominantly the hero's. They come so easily. It's the heroine that takes work for me. Great refresher, Andrea

I like heroines that are strong, but I'm reading one now that is almost obnoxious. There is a definate spectrum.